Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins

Now that all of the sticky buns are gone, and we only have about a cup of milk left, we have nothing for breakfast!  On a day like this, I usually see what ingredients I have on hand, and whip up something like pancakes or muffins.  Today I had canned pumpkin left over from Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.  I guess I didn't end up making all of those yummy pumpkiny things that everyone wants to make during the holidays.  I would like to say that I did have a pretty good excuse being 9 months pregnant :)  That brings me to today's  breakfast!  Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins!  I searched on the internet and found this recipe on food.com.  I love pumpkin muffins, and I really like the addition of oatmeal.  It adds more chew and some great health benefits [to outweigh the cinnamon butter I made for them...yeah I said cinnamon butter]!  Here we go!



Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins

Here is the link to the recipe.

I don't make a lot of recipes on www.food.com simply because they are are not tested in test kitchens like recipes on Martha Stewart or Food Network.  It's people just like you and me that post their recipes so there can be flaws...but this one actually turned out pretty good! 

Like most muffin recipes, we use the "muffin method" for mixing the ingredients together.  This makes for more of a muffin texture rather than what you would get if you used the "creaming method."  The creaming method is when you add the sugar to the butter and cream the mixture, then you add the eggs, and then the dry ingredients alternating with milk.  The creaming method gives you more of a cupcake than a muffin.  The muffin method in this recipe combines all of the dry ingredients [which I whisked together].  


Then you combine all the wet ingredients. [I used pecans instead of walnuts...yep, I'm a Georgia girl!  We like our pecans!] Then you add the wet to the dry and combine.


Make sure you don't over mix!  You will get flat little concrete balls if you over mix :)  Not yummy!  I just folded the wet into the dry by making large circular motions with the spatula.  Remember to make sure you get all the dry ingredients from the bottom of the bowl...they would get their feelings hurt if you left them out.

Here is what it looks like when it is completely mixed:


When you have all the ingredients mixed together, it's time for the muffin tin!  I used muffin or cupcake wrappers for 12 and then I had enough batter to fill up 4 more with out the wrappers.  I also added a sprinkling of oatmeal to the tops of the muffins.  I think it looks pretty :)


I baked mine for about 22 minutes, took them out, and let them rest for about 5 minutes before turning them out onto the rack. 



While they were cooling, I whipped up some cinnamon butter!  YUM!  All I did was take about half a stick of softened butter and creamed in about a teaspoon of sugar and a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon.  You can do this with basically any flavoring, but I thought cinnamon would be perfect for these!


Time to smooth that yummy cinnamon butter onto the warm muffin! [Drool]


After tasting these, I actually like the ones that did not have the wrappers.  They got this yummy caramelized crust on them that was chewy and delicious!  So I would suggest not using the wrappers and going naked into the muffin tin! 

I would say that these are a make again, but maybe a little on the underwhelming side.  The pumpkin flavor isn't that prominent.  Maybe add a little more pumpkin and some more cinnamon to bring out the flavor?  Over all, I would give it a B.  But still yummy for Sunday morning!

Let me know what you think!

Leah

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I didn't know there was a "muffin method" vs a creaming method! I've been going about baking all wrong!

    ReplyDelete